SELECTED REFERENCE PHOTOGRAPHS AND SKETCHES
THE 1931 HAWKES BAY EARTHQUAKE
1. Hastings St, Napier, looking North before the 1931 Earthquake.
2. Hastings St at Browning St with Tram in foreground before the 1931 Earthquake.
3. Sleepers and rails bent out of position, although the space between the rails is preserved.
A realignment between Napier and Bay View.
4. Part of the Bluff Hill slip. Reports that people had been buried beneath the
fallen rock and earth were not confirmed when the spoil was eventually removed.
5. Bluff Hill Slip.
6. Bluff Hill slip. Sketch from the book "Out Of The Ruins" 1980 Drawings and Text by Colin B Wilkinson
7. When the Havelock North bridge bridge collapsed, Hastings lost its water supply from the reservoir
and consequently its fire fighting capacity.
8. Sketch from the book "Out Of The Ruins" 1980 Drawings and Text by Colin B Wilkinson
9. The boats are high and dry after the earthquake uplift had started to drain the Ahuriri Lagoon, Napier.
10. The jetty at Ahuriri is well above sea level after the earthquake uplift had started to drain the Ahuriri Lagoon, Napier.
11. Dr Moores Private Hospital, Marine Parade, Napier.
12. Dr Moores private hospital on the Marine Parade, Napier, showing the angle to which it tilted,
imperilling the patients and nursing staff.
13. Blythes Ltd on fire, Napier
14. Perhaps the best known photograph from the Hawkes Bay Earthquake. Taken by the photographer T.W.Collins,
showing fissures in the Westshore embankment road, Napier.
15. Sketch from the book "Out Of The Ruins" 1980 Drawings and Text by Colin B
16. The Methodist Church, Hastings, before the earthquake.
17. The Methodist Church, Hastings, after the earthquake.
BACK TO PROPOSAL